Tuesday, 5 September 2006


I have seriously been procrastinating about this post!
So many dramas have gone on in the "crazy" Sheppard-Morris/Wright households in the past 10 days, I have no idea where to start. They do say that things happen in 3's so I'm hoping that we've now had our dash of bad things to happen to us.

I had a appointment with the Learning Developement teacher at the kids school a few weeks ago because I have been worried about Shanice progress. She really struggles, and I am not noticing any change in her progress. It turns out that she may have a form of dyslexia, but first we have to get her eyes tested at a Behavourial Optometrist, so they can check the movement patterns of her eyes as well as her eye sight. So we now have a mildly long sighted 7 year old daughter that has to wear the cutest purple glasses at school and at home while doing reading and playing playstation - which I think is hillarious cause I don't let my kids play the PS2.
I am going to wait and see how she goes with the glasses before taking the next step and taking her to a learning center where they can assess her.

Then we're on to the next drama - On sunday the 27th Aug my parents took Darrell and Lynsey up to Terrigal for their last day in australia before they flew back to England first thing monday morning. All was going great guns until all of a sudden my dad ( who is 61 but is so fit it's not funny and acts like a 20 year old) couldn't speak and wasn't making any sense what so ever. They called an ambulance and it seems that he may have had a stroke. I rushed up to Gosford Hospital which is about 2 hours away and I was so shocked seeing my dad like that.
I tried as best I could to be strong for my mum. And tried to be strong for my kids and try and explain as best as I could what was wrong with Grandad.
Dad had gotten a bit violent, which I could totally expect, dad doesn't even take panadol when he has a headache so imagine breathing stuff and needles. So they had put him to sleep. The nurse in ICU said for us to take pictures and write a journal because he will loose a few days. I had my camera with me would you believe because I wanted to take photos of all the kids together on their last day. But I didn;t have the nerve to do that to my dad. I wish I did now.
By Monday morning when I arrived with mum, he was sitting up a bit raspy, but ok. By that afternoon when I arrived with the kids he was in a chair with PJ's on - this was hillarious, my Dad had NEVER worn pj's ever! Connor thought it was the bee's knee's cause I could keep applying this really cool hand wash to get rid of the germies. I wish I could buy that by the truck load - Connor is a total germ-a-phob, he'd bathe in it if I'd let him, lol.
I didn't see dad for the rest of the week as the drive was too far and he was fine. Just running all sorts of tests. They did an EEG which is some sort of brain scan and they found some abnormalities, so what did the Neurologists do? Took dad's drivers licence off him for 3 months. HELLOOOOO!!!! they can't tell you what wrong with you and don;t know how to fix anything, but hey let's take the man's licence away because that's what he does for a living...... oh yeah! if you haven't guesses I'm a bit pissed about the issue, so just imagine what my dad's going thru.
He got release on friday, which was fantastic news. We were all so happy to have him back home. So I plodded up on Saturday arvo with the kids for the bbq we never got to have the week before. And then we were back up again for a Father's Day roast for lunch.
Thank god he is ok. I don't know what it would be like without my dad, and it's something I don;t want to picture at this point in my life.

In the middle of all of that drama, another one arose - YAY!!! On wednesday, Ant was at work as normal when he found a hidden mircophone and video survailence hooked up to a computer below the office in his works factory unit. Needless to say Ant was livid and went a little crazy. He did quit his job for about ......mmmmm...... 45 minutes, when better judgement caught up with him and thought "Hey I have to pay a mortgage and pay for the kids private school fees". There was plenty of yelling that went on, one of the partners had done it and the other one that Ant answers too had no idea. There was then plenty of excuses that went flying, but when Ant is the only one in the office - ever, it's hard not to take it personal.

So that brings us up to speed in with the dramas.
These all seem so trival in the scheme of things, but at the time they are major.

A big congrats to you if you struggled thru my essay of a post. I have piccies of the kids and stuff coming, but that may have to wait for another day


Alison Jeremijczyk said...

Wow, you sure have had a rough run. I hope that your Dad bounces back, and hopefully the doctors can find some answers to put everyone's mind at ease. I've got my fingers crossed that the cute little glasses do the trick with Shanice. And good on you for voicing your concern about her learning, at least you have set wheels into motion. As a teacher, it's hard to tell parents you feel something might be wrong with their child, it must be even harder sitting on the other side.
As for the situation with dh, that is so low. I'd be peeved too!
Big Hugs

Tracy said...

Glad things are settling down for you sweet. I bet Shanice looks cute in her glasses.

Give your dad our best for a speedy recovery.

Shall see you on Sunday

Trac x

Rachael said...

Kylie I had wondered why you had been so quiet. Sounds like you have been through the wringer. Glad to hear that your dad is ok. On a side note,about Shanice, if you need an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on or just some support, I wanted to let you know that I am a Special Ed teacher. Any help that I can offer is here waiting for you.

Anonymous said...

hi kylie im sorry to read this after i have harrassed you all week with the scrapgirls retreat. my son had the same thing at school had his eyes tested, and he was accepted into reading recovery i know what you are going through hang in there they always need that little more encouragement and support and plenty of time put in at home talk soon kylie dillon

Michelle M said...

Kylie, what a rough week you have had with your Dad, all the best with his recovery and hope that he is back to his normal self real soon, driving around...
Go the Irlen Syndrome, I have two boys that both wear colour lenses to help with their visual dyslexia, one wears hot pink (yes he is really impressed about that) and the other wears cute little purple ones too, but in the two years that my boys have worn them they have gone ahead in leaps and bounds. if you ever need to chat about it just holler...